A Christmas tree doesn’t have to be the only place in your home with holiday decorations. Christmas lights are an inexpensive way to add a festive touch to any room in your home. Christmas lights are safe to use in your bedroom as long as they are not close to anything flammable.
You can drape strands of lights over bedposts and furniture or weave them through railings to create a whimsical feel. But before you get too carried away, it’s important to consider some basic safety precautions of using these lights in your bedroom.
How Should I Use Christmas Lights In My Bedroom?
If you decide to decorate your bedroom with Christmas lights, keep these tips in mind:
- Avoid using too many strands of lights at once. Some outlets may have too much voltage running through them and could spark a fire if overloaded.
- Turn off the lights when you go out of the room or go to bed for the night. Unplug the extension cords immediately after use.
- Don’t place lights near anything flammable, such as curtains, clothes, or bedding.
- Never run wires under carpets or rugs.
- Make sure the electrical cords aren’t worn out before using them, and inspect them periodically while they’re in use so, they don’t fray or become damaged.
- Always use a sturdy hook or hanger to suspend them from the ceiling.
The best way to avoid these issues is to use common sense while decorating your home. Don’t leave them unattended, don’t hang them with nails or staples (use plastic hooks instead), and ensure your electrical outlets can handle the extra current.
Where Should Christmas Lights Be Placed In A Bedroom?
Here are a few ways you can use Christmas lights to create a festive atmosphere in your bedroom:
1. You can hang the lights along the edge of the ceiling. This is one of the best places to hang Christmas lights because it can highlight your ceiling. Also, since they’re hanging from a high point on your wall, they won’t get tangled up or take up space on the floor.
2. You can also hang Christmas lights on your bed frame. If you have a headboard or footboard, then it’s the perfect place. Just make sure that you don’t put them too close to where you sleep because it can be uncomfortable having something dangling over your head.
3. Another great idea is to string lights around your bedroom’s window frame. You can also place them on top of a dresser with other decorations like fake snowflakes.
Furthermore, add string lights inside mason jars so they look like there are fireflies.
Your possibilities are endless when decorating your bedroom.
Do Christmas Lights Burn Walls?
When it comes to Christmas lights, there are two main types: incandescent and LED. Both light up a space, but they do so with different wattages and heat output.
Incandescent Christmas lights are hot to the touch when lit for a long time. Similarly, LED lights don’t get hot, which is one reason they are so popular these days (LEDs also burn longer than incandescent bulbs).
Christmas lights are temporary decorations, so they would not cause any major damage. However, if you keep them up for a few weeks or months, monitor them closely. Cheap or broken wires can release current and leave burn marks on your wall. If this happens, walls with wallpaper can ignite and start a fire.
One thing that can affect whether your Christmas lights burn your walls is how close they are to combustible materials.
How Can I Make My Bedroom Look Christmassy?
When decorating for the holidays, many of us focus on common areas like living rooms and dining rooms. But bedrooms are also important and should be decorated with care.
If you’re wondering how to make your bedroom look Christmassy, it’s pretty simple—just follow these steps!
If you have the space and budget, get yourself a small Christmas tree and put it in your bedroom. This is a great way to add some holiday charm. Just make sure that the tree doesn’t take up too much space in your room.
Are you going for something more subtle than an actual tree? Consider getting a small wreath to hang above your bed or even on your door. Wreaths are the perfect accent piece because they can fit into any decor without overpowering it.
Do You Need A Surge Protector For Christmas Lights?
If you’re using traditional Christmas lights around your home, you will need a surge protector. Surge protectors protect your electronic devices from damage caused by power surges, which can cause problems for everything from simple gadgets to major appliances.
I am a wife and mom with two kids. I am also a writer, avid DIYer, and tech enthusiast. My favorite things are writing, shopping online for gadgets, and gizmos I can’t afford (yet). Being at home with my kids is the best part of my day!