The Belkin WeMo Light Switch replaces your traditional wall-mounted on/off switches with a smart switch. You can use it remotely as long as you have access to the internet.
The switch will connect with your home Wi-Fi network, which then allows your functionality through the WeMo free app. You can track and change the light configuration at home with little effort, as long as your phone is linked to the Internet.
So, will the Wemo work without Wi-Fi- Yes, you can still turn your lights on or off the old-fashion way however, you will not have access to the app functions like remote access, setting timers and scheduling.
You’ll Need Internet To Set-up The WeMo
If you don’t have access to the internet (no router at home) then you can’t connect to the app and experience all the smart functions. It is best to purchase the traditional switch if you will never have access to the internet as buying the WeMo is a waste of money.
The WeMo app integration includes: After installing the switch, download the WeMo free app and the free IFTTT app. Then go to your Wi-Fi settings, and WeMo should be amongst the lists of networks available.
Start the WeMo app and follow the steps to finish the fast setup process. Belkin does not offer web-based WeMo formats, but for iOS and Android devices free smartphone applications are available.
All The Features You Are Missing Without the Internet
Unfortunately, if your internet is down, you can’t control the switch via the app. But, as soon as you are back online, you will regain access.
THE WEMO WORKS WITH AMAZON ALEXA, THE GOOGLE ASSISTANT, AND APPLE HOME KIT
- Enable the Wemo skill and pair Wemo Light Switches with Alexa Smart Home for dimming features via voice control.
- Wemo light switch connects to Google Assistant, allowing you to control your lights with the Google Smart Home devices, your Android or iPhone.
- Wemo is compatible with Apple HomeKit devices, so you can control your Wemo Light Switch with the Apple Home app and Siri from your iPhone, iPad, Apple Watch, or HomePod.
Other WeMo Features Include:
- Set Schedules for your switch: Wemo Light Switch lets set automatic schedules for any light. Using the free Wemo app, you can schedule any lights to turn off at sunrise or synchronize your living room lights with the sunset so you can come home to a lit house.
- Protect your home: the WeMo can randomize your lights, Wemo Light Switch protects your home far better than a mechanical timer. If you set it to “Away Mode,” the LightSwitch will turn lights on and off to make it look like someone is home to rid of intruders.
- Control multiple switches- The Long Press feature can set many Wemo devices to respond to a two-second press of the LightSwitch button. You can use Long Press to turn all Wemo lights and devices on or off. You can also put all your Wemo lights into “Away Mode” when you leave for vacation.
- Peace Of Mind: When a light is connected to a Wemo Light Switch, you can turn it off from your phone remotely with the WeMo app.
To recap, without Wi-Fi your WeMo will lose all its app functionality, but as soon as you are back online you’ll regain access. If you don’t have access to the internet at all, you cannot integrate the app.
I am a wife and mom with two kids. I am also a writer, avid DIYer, and tech enthusiast. My favorite things are writing, shopping online for gadgets, and gizmos I can’t afford (yet). Being at home with my kids is the best part of my day!